Friday, December 24, 2010

Lunar Eclipse Time Lapse

Tuesday marked the first time a full lunar eclipse had occurred on the winter solstice since 1638, (which I'm sure was a sign of the end of the world or the return Cthulhu or something, but nothing significant came up when I did a search, so maybe all the crazies missed this one) which I missed because..well, I forgot. But that's okay because it's going to happen again in 2094 which is great because I'll only be...Okay, I'll be dead.

Fortunately, that doesn't really matter much because a full lunar eclipse happens every year, they just don't happen on the winter solstice very often, which isn't really all that significant other than the fact that it makes for an extra long dark night. Even better, University of Florida professor and science photographer William Castleman managed to catch a time lapse of the event and posted it on his Vimeo account and now, I'm posting it here. Very cool.

The music is really nice as well,Claude Debussy Nocturnes: Sirènes. enjoy.

-CAINE-

Winter Solstice Lunar Eclipse from William Castleman on Vimeo.

Source: I09
Image credit: Thomas loupe

No comments:

Post a Comment