Sunday, October 3, 2010

The UK Recognizes Druids as a Legitimate Religion


If you happen to live in the UK and you somehow haven't heard, then do I have some great news for you! Druids have officially been granted status as a "genuine" religion by your lovely, lovely, charity Commission.

That means not only will every psychic medium, con-artist, cult leader, hippie guru, and faith healer that's ever hugged a crystal, claimed to sense an energy field or communed with a rock, soon be declaring themselves a "druid". But more importantly, once they do, they'll all be eligible for tax breaks and all the other special treatment that comes with being called a "REAL" religion- just like Scientology! Isn't that great?... Oh wait.. No, I guess it isn't.

Seriously UK, I love you guys but for now, I really think you should all just go stand in the corner and think about what you've done for a while. We'll talk later.

-CAINE-

*UPDATE* The point I was trying to make, which EnglishAtheist pointed out in the comments I completely failed at, was that by legitimizing any set of supernatural beliefs by granting them charitable status or recognizing them as a religion, you give a long list of nuts, crazies, and just plain bad people a new point to argue when trying to prove the validity of their claims and or scam people out of money and possessions, weather they are actually a part of the official organization being recognized or not.

Instead, I gave off the impression that the UK had opened up a new welfare line where any idiot in a Yoda robe could come to get a free handout, which is incorrect and not the point I was trying to make. Also, I'm told the charity commission does not recognize Scientology as a religion, so that comment was misleading as well.

See what happens when you don't research the articles you find in popular media before you comment on them, you get EVERYTHING wrong.

Oh well, 'll be in the corner if you need me.

-CAINE-

4 comments:

  1. Actually, it is just one organisation, Druid Network, that have the tax breaks. Not all Druidic organisations get them. Also, it's not individual druids who get the ebenfits directly, but the organisation.

    Wish "advancement of religion" wasn't grounds for being a charity though.

    Scientology is not recognised as a religion by the Charity Commission on the plus side.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what your saying then is I was basically wrong about everything, my attempt at being funny is officially an epic fail, and I should go ahead and stand myself in the corner and think about what I've done for while?

    Damnit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The difference between you every psychic medium, con-artist, cult leader, hippie guru, and faith healer that's ever hugged a crystal, claimed to sense an energy field or communed with a rock is that you admited you were wrong *applause*

    : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, here's my tuppence worth:
    http://furtherthoughtsfortheday.blogspot.com/2010/10/on-druidry-being-officially-recognised.html

    ReplyDelete