Monday, September 13, 2010

Galileo was wrong, It's a Joke Right?

"Galileo was wrong, the church was right". That my friends is the name given to the: "first annual catholic conference on geocentrism". That's right kids, geocentrism. You know, the belief that the Earth is the center of the universe and everything else revolves around it.

I know what your thinking. Like me when I first read this on Phyrangula last night you're thinking, It's gotta be a joke right? Some kind of parody or a hoax.

Well...as far as I can tell...

No, it's real.

I know it hurts, I'll give you a moment.
...
OK, let's move on,

Yes believe it or not it seems there really are still people living in America, in the year 2010, who have somehow managed to maintain the belief that the Earth is actually the center of the universe and more importantly, that science KNOWS the earth is the center of the universe but is hiding the truth from us, presumably to drive people away from god.

How many Americans actually believe this you say? According to Wikipedia, 18%.

I'll give you another moment...
...
Better? Good, I'll continue.

The man responsible for the upcoming convention is, DR. Robert Sungenis. Dr Sungenis is, it seems anyway, a real live human being or perhaps a reptoid, it's always so hard to tell, and the head of Catholic Apologetics International, according to his entry on creation wiki. More importantly, he is also the author of two volumes worth of material entitled, say it with me now, "Galileio was wrong, the chruch was right", which you'll be happy to know you can pick up on amazon.com, used, for a mere 98 dollars and 95cents.

So if you've EVER even considered the notion of "teaching the controversy" in schools where science is concerned. REMEMBER: a percentage of the people in this very country, however small that percentage may actually be, believe that the earth is the center of the universe and if you think basic scientific principals should be taught as "questions of faith" or multiple choice issues, then It's ALL YOUR FAULT.
-CAINE-

I hope Phil plait dosen't mind if I borrow this because it has to be said,


No comments:

Post a Comment